16- rRootage (abstract shooter)
rRootage is an abstract shooter, created by Kenta Cho and ported to Linux by Evil Mr Henry.
17- Boson (RTS – Real time strategy)
Boson is an OpenGL real-time strategy game. It is designed to run on Unix (Linux) computers, and is built on top of the KDE, Qt and kdegames libraries.
18- The Battle for Wesnoth (Turn based Strategy)
The Battle for Wesnoth is a free, turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme. Build up a great army of humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls or any of the other races and beat those who dare to oppose you. Fight a desperate battle to reclaim the throne of Wesnoth, or take hand in any number of other adventures.
19 – Blobwars: Metal Blob Solid [2d platform game]
Since their world was invaded by an alien race, the Blobs have faced a lifetime of war. But now they have a chance to win the war once and for all.
In Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid, you take on the role of a fearless Blob agent, Bob. Bob’s mission is to infiltrate the various enemy bases around the Blobs’ homeworld and rescue as many MIAs as possible. But standing in his way are many vicious aliens, other Blobs who have been assimilated and the evil alien leader, Galdov.
20 – UFO: Alien Invasion
UFO: Alien Invasion is a strategy game featuring turn-based tactical combat against hostile alien forces (human or computer controlled) which are infiltrating earth at this very moment. You are in command of a small special unit which has been founded to face the alien strike force. To be successful in the long run, you must research the alien technology in order to build bigger and better weapons against your foes.
Glest is a free 3D real-time strategy game, where you control the armies of two different factions: Tech, which is mainly composed of warriors and mechanical devices, and Magic, that prefers mages and summoned creatures in the battlefield.
Glest is not just a game, but also an engine to make strategy games, based on XML and a set of tools. A few mods already exist.
22- Planet Shift
PlaneShift is a Role Playing Game immersed into a 3D virtual fantasy world which is FULLY FREE to play. Fully free means you will have no surprises of premium content which will limit your gameplay or unbalance the game. There are no limitations in skills, ranks, abilities, items you can gain with your free account. There are no time limits or additional constraints.
23- SAVAGE: The Battle for Newerth
Choose to be a commander and you will play an in-depth RTS managing the stronghold, or choose to be a warrior and you will play an intense game of first person combat. With the creation of a new game play genre, RTSS (Real Time Strategy Shooter), Savage expertly redefines the first-person shooter and real-time strategy genres by combining elements of both into one cohesive experience. As the commander in RTS mode, you will tackle resource management, develop a robust tech tree, plan your assault and lead real human players into battle. As a warrior in action mode, you will master many unique weapons, powerful units, and siege vehicles to fight a fast paced battle.
Set in a unique fantasy world eons from now where Humans and Beasts battle violently for their very existence. Savage transports PC gamers to the next level in multi-player gaming. Choose to fight on the side of HUMANITY, armed with science and technology, or take the side of the BEAST HORDE, masters of nature and magic. Each race has its own style of battle, its own leader, and its own way to victory. Which side are you on?
Minimum System Requirements:
Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP or Linux
Controls: Mouse and Keyboard
CPU: 600 MHz processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM
Drives: 4x CD-ROM and 600 MB Hard Drive space for installation
Video: GeForce or Radeon series graphics cards
Online Connection: 56k modem
Recommended System Requirements:
Controls: 3 button mouse with a scroll wheel
CPU: 1000 MHz CPU or better (subject to change)
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video: GeForce4 or better (OpenGL compatible Video Adapter)
Online Connection: Broadband (Cable Modem, DSL, or better)
ClanBomber is a free (GPL) Bomberman-like multiplayer game that uses ClanLib, a free multi platform C++ game SDK. First “ClanBomber” was only a working title for a small game started in September 1998, that has only been started to learn how to use ClanLib nut the ClanBomber project has grown into a real game.
It is fully playable and features Computer controlled bombers, however, it is recommended to play ClanBomber with friends (3-8 players are really fun).
War is declared !
Have the mascots of your favorite free software titles battle it out in the Wormux arena using dynamite, grenades, baseball bats and other bazookas… Exterminate your opponent in a 2D environment with toon-style scenery.
Each player controls the team of his choice (penguin, gnu, firefox, wilber,…) and must destroy his adversary using more or less casual weapons.
Although a minimum of strategy is required to vanquish, Wormux is pre-eminently a “convivial mass murder” game where, turn by turn, each member of each team attempts to produce a maximum of damage to his opponents.
26- Tremulous (FPS)
Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more…
Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the “Armoury”. The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.
The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.
– Flexible particle system – 99% of the in-game visual effects are configured using particle scripts.
– 16 buildable structures with in-game functions.
– Play as several alien classes with unique abilities.
– Customize your setup as a human and buy new weapons, armour and items.
– Scale the walls and ceilings as an alien waiting for an unsuspecting human.
– Realistic physics and motion – no bunny hopping or quick back peddling.
– Flexible map system – animated mapobjects, triggering, light flares, etc.
– Large weapons system – don’t like the weapon you have? Sell it and buy a different one, dozens of options.
27- OpenTTD (Tycoon type)
OpenTTD is a clone of the Microprose game “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”, a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features.
OpenTTD is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2.0 with features like
– bigger maps (up to 64 times in size)
– an AI that is actually worthy of its name
– stable multiplayer mode for up to 8 players on LAN or Internet
– dedicated server mode and an in-game console for administration
– new pathfinding algorithms that makes vehicles go where you want them to (usually)
– autorail build tool, improved terraforming
– crossing tunnels
– canals, shiplifts
– larger, non-uniform stations and the ability to join them together (of same width or length)
– real checkpoints instead of dummy one-tile stations
– mammoth and multi-headed trains
– clone, autoreplace and autoupdate vehicles
– possibility to build on slopes and coasts
– “go to depot” orders, check orders and view order destinations
– order sharing and copying
– longer and higher bridges including 2 new ones
– reworked airport system with 2 more airports (international and metropolitan)
– presignals, semaphores
– preliminary support for TTDPatch newgrf features
– build many trees on one tile
– bribe the town authority
– lots and lots of patch- and configuration settings to tune the game to your liking. Also look at the wiki.
– save games with zlib compression for smaller sizes which does not interrupt gameplay
– big support for internationalisation. OpenTTD is already translated into more than 24 languages
– dynamically created town-names in 18 languages
Lots of effort has been put into giving OpenTTD a better usability. These include:
– convert rail tool (to rail, monorail, and maglev)
– build stations with drag&drop
– support of drag&drop for almost all tools (demolition, road/rail building/removing, scenario editor…)
– sorting of most lists based on various criteria (vehicle, station, town, industries, etc.)
– mouse wheel can be used to scroll in menus and to zoom in/out.
– autoscroll (to left/right) when the mouse is near the edge of the screen
– build in paused mode
– sell whole train by dragging it to the dynamite trashcan
– cost estimation with the ’shift’ key
– patch options configuration window, change settings from within the game
– “debtmax” faster loan management with CTRL key
– screenshots can be in BMP, PNG or PCX format (select in game options menu)
– more currencies (including Euro introduction in 2002)
– extra viewports to view more parts of the gamefield at the same time
– window mode with double zoom (CTRL+D to toggle) (MS Windows only)
– resolution and refresh rate selection for fullscreen mode
– colourful newspaper after a certain date
– colour coded vehicle profits
– game speed increase (through fast forward button or by pressing the TAB key)
– snappy and sticky windows that always stay on top and neatly align themselves to other windows
– more hotkeys for even less mouse-clicking
28- Regnum Online
Regnum Online is a MMORPG inviting you to PLAY FOR FREE with no level or time restrictions. All that is required is that you fight for your realm.
– Regnum offers 3 realms to choose from.
– 9 fully customizable player characters.
– An ever expanding number of quests.
– The ability to capture forts and castles.
– Expansive lands to explore.
– Glorious graphical environments in DirectX and OpenGL.
– Support for Windows and Linux platforms.
– Community driven development, meaning we develop the game based on players’ feedback.
– Premium content is available for enhanced game play.
29- The Spring Project
The Spring project is a nice RPG with features like
– Large battles limited only by the power of your computer; support for up to 5000 units.
– Large, highly detailed maps in which to wage those battles, fully 3D with deformable terrain, forest fires, dynamic and reflective water, and custom skyboxes.
– Several camera modes, allowing for anything to be viewed from almost any angle.
– Fully 3D combat in land, sea, and air, with realistic weapon trajectories.
– Many different mods, some of them originally from Total Annihilation, and some made just for Spring.
– Compatible with unit files from Total Annihilation, allowing 3rd party units to easily be moved into Spring.
– Complex 3rd party AIs, some of which are quite good.
– An extremely powerful GUI, designed to minimise unneccesary micromanagement.
– Frequent additions and bugfixes.
Pingus has started at the end of 1998 with the simple goal to create a Free (as in freedom, not as in free beer) Lemmingstm clone. The Free means you get the sources and are allowed and encouraged to change and distribute them. You basically get everything that I used to create this game. In the years it has grown than quite a bit over the original goal and become something more than just a clone, we have original artwork, a built-in level editor, new actions, multiplayer and a few other features.
That’s it for now. I hope you enjoy these free Linux games and I would love to have you add more of your favorites in the comment section